Saturday, May 19, 2012

Week 6

Greetings! My name is Sarah and this is my new blog. In my old blog I wrote about whimsical things such as fortune cookies and overwhelmed dog walkers. This blog, however, will most likely take a more serious tone. Maybe.

 First up: Apology Unit!

 I chose to center my apology around a minor subplot in the Harry Potter series. You may have heard of them. In these books, there are some magical but ultimately pitiful creatures known as house elves. These elves have been enslaved for centuries by the witches and wizards of Harry Potter’s world. While Harry does free one grateful elf named Dobby, and Hermione repeatedly attempts to free the house elves at Hogwarts, there is never a real resolution to the issue of house elf slavery. So, based on a few clues given by the series and knowing the motivations behind some of the characters, I decided it was high time to free the little buggers.

Interestingly, what began to stand out to me as I researched and then wrote the apology, was that I was writing an apology to a group of people who didn’t feel the apology was necessary. In fact, house elves feared the idea of freedom. This led me down a bit of a dark path as I thought about the abuse and psychological torment that would birth a fear of freedom and choice in an individual. So, ultimately I did finish the apology, but it took me down a darker path than I had planned upon. But that’s life. Funny how house elves contributed to a further understanding of it.

 Pasted below is a link to my analysis and apology. Hope it works.

 http://vista.bellevuecollege.edu/webct/urw/tp49776219531061.lc49776219511061/newMessageThread.dowebct?discussionaction=viewMessage&messageid=50017903605021&topicid=49837596199071&refreshPage=false&sourcePage=

No comments:

Post a Comment